Yes, it seems a little morbid, but after recent events and conversations I decided to take matters into my own hands, and plan ahead. Properly.
After a little research I found out the following (for our country anyways) … this is ‘my’ interpreted version:
- A will doesn’t need to be done with a lawyer, it just needs to be written and witnessed by 2 people who won’t get anything out of it; the will that is.
- You can’t bury on private land unless you have a shitload of permits.
- Burying in a cemetery also takes a shitload of permits.
- Why be buried with a shit tonne of people you don’t know, especially when you hardly liked people when you were alive?
- The funeral industry is just that; an industry. They’ll make a buck off’ve anything.
- A service is held for customary reasons. There’s no real necessity in it.
- You don’t need a casket to be buried in, or cremated in.
- You don’t need to be embalmed.
- You don’t need to be cut up unless you died some heinous way and they want to poke around and find the cause of death.
- If you get buried in non-biodegradable shit (including the box), that shit lingers and leeches into the earth.
- An urn is a waste of money. A jar will do.
- The cheapest way to go is cremation; but that still costs a shit tonne of money. I think the Vikings had the right idea.
- It’s still possible to be buried at sea, but again, you need a shit tonne of permits.
- Even a natural burial here, has regulations re: planting, depth of burial, buying a plot.
- It’ll cost you a small fortune to transport the body and hire a mortician peep, but when fams are grieving, that’s the last thing they’re worried about.
- Apparently you can get some death grant to help with expenses. How nice of them.
- A cemetery is still Council / Crown owned. And has regulations.
- Memorials, headstones and plinths also cost an immoral amount of money.
- When you’re dead, You’re dead.
And after all this enlightenment, I wrote up my own Will.
I’m going to post a copy of it and keep a signed copy of it in my elephant box ;) And the reason for posting it, under the category ‘my will’; so the fams can find it if they can’t find the first one LOL