that last couple periods, i’ve been mapping them a bit closer than usual. since the confirmation of good old peri-menopause, i decided more than ever, that i needed to get a grip on this whole embracing the ‘womanhood’ thing.
i think the first time i was given pain meds for periods, i was about 13. it was the doctors opinion that i was being OTT & that kick ass pain killers would fix everything.
its kinda a crime, i reckon, that something as natural as menstruating, is diagnosed as an illness & an inconvenience, & is then ‘shut up’ or shut down. am i surprised really though? after all i’ve learnt over the years.
womanhood is despised instead of celebrated.
they forget that without that uterus of ours, there’d be no life.
with a fine tooth comb, i went over all the ‘symptoms’ that are usually quite unbearable, related to perioding & menopause, cos for me they’re quite similar, just magnified.
i decided awhile ago to go with the natural route re ‘treating’ symptoms. which is a bit fucking hard really.
again … its a lot easier to just shut it down.
so, during these phases, i have the following things to manage: oh, as well as fucking (p)tsd!
- sore tummy
- sore boobs … like gonna from off your chest kinda sore!
- itchy rashes, usually on the lower back
- sore glands
- itchy eyes & nose – similar to hayfever
- generally run down
- gums bleed
- hot flushes
- irritability (more than usual)
- achey body
- extreme vertigo
- memory loss
- sinus ache
- panic attacks
- increased general anxiety
- sore throat
- heavy bleeding / clotting
- increased sensitivity to light, smells & noise
yeah. thats about it in a nutshell.
so i trolled the symptoms & then the internet to find solutions.
i’m pretty gangstah like that.
& heres what i came up with:
- remifemin – helps calm the hot flushes & irritability & as a side effect, also lessens the anxiety.
- magnesium sleep cream with lavender – helps lessen the anxiety & insomnia & has a cooling effect.
- raspberry leaf tea – helps with the uterus & tummy cramps. i’ve been adding this to my ‘tea’ concoctions during period times
- caraway seeds added to brown sugar & hot water for nausea & tummy cramps.
- whilst trying to flush / detox my system, i’ve been using nettle tea added to oat straw (for anxiety), ginger (for vertigo), & sage (for mood). i’ve also added in half an iron tablet just before my period & stop them 3 days after i finish.
so, what’s the results for moi?
i was skeptical AF, as usual: but i pretty much had nothing to lose.
& i’m happy to report that all that shit above, the symptoms, were either completed alleviated & / or halved.
how fucking grateful am i????
& thats all i have to say about that ;)