The Tide Is High ~ Blondie, 1980
Heart Of Glass ~ Blondie, 1978
Let’s Dance – David Bowie, 1983
Reckless – Australian Crawl, 1983
While I was doing my ‘distraction’ cleaning … *Done, so I don’t overly stress on the possibilities that tomorrows shizz may bring – Yes; I decided to go to my psychologist appointment – and Yes; I have informed the partner that if the airport twat talks to much I will be *shushing* her 😉 …. I let YouTube play through, and somehow ended up at Christmas songs … I know right!
But as the songs below were playing through, I had a couple dozen thoughts – As I Do.
- I wonder if they asked any Africans to input into these?
- There were a couple (literally) black faces in the 1984 ensemble. Why? I know there were plenty beautiful black singers around in 1984.
- I’m not sure whether Africa (the starving part anyway) really gave a fuck about Christmas time.
- Was this part of the point of these songs? The irony? Singing to the rich white folks so they’d feel sympathetic and open up their Christmas wallets?
- USA for Africa certainly had few more black / brown faces in their ensemble.
- Were they aware when they made the 1984 version, that Africa was stripped of their resources by greedy white colonial fuckers?
- Were they aware of that when they made the 2014 version?
- Maybe they should’ve have written that colonial history into a verse or 2.
- Maybe they did and it got taken out? ? ?
Band Aid~ Do They Know It’s Christmas, 1984
Band Aid ~ Do They Know It’s Christmas, 2014
Yeah, so that was my day of pondering …
I’d Rather Go Blind ~ Etta James, 1968
Thank you Cory for inspiring this one with your 45s collection 🙂
Go check out Cory’s Stories,Photos, Reviews and Videos.
This Is How We Do It ~ Montell Jordan, 1995
Sweet Dreams ~ Eurythmics, 1983
I’m not a fan of ‘bleeping’ out profanity, so ‘dirty version’ first … you have to appreciate the lyrical grit that is Method Man … the schlurp that only he can do … its a god dam beautiful thing …
And just cos you can’t really ‘feel’ what is Meth without seeing the goodness in action 😉 … heres the ‘clean’ version …
Bring The Pain ~ Method Man, 1994
Roxanne ~ The Police, 1978